Sunday, February 9, 2014

You're Telling Me!

You're Telling Me!
May 18, 1934
Paramount
Comedy
DVD
C+

Slow and meandering though this movie is, it did make me chuckle a couple times.  I was more interested in the characters besides the W.C. Fields "hero" Sam Bisbee, particularly Joan Marsh as Sam's daughter Pauline and Adrienne Ames as the Princess.  I also liked seeing the small-town gossip, although there's no real pay-off.  I definitely could've done without the tedious golf game, which goes on for several minutes but never gets beyond the first swing.

I'm limited in the number of tags I can put on a post, so here are some people who would go on to appear in other Fields films:  Eddie Baker, Dorothy Bay, Nora Cecil, Dell Henderson (as Del), James B. "Pop" Kenton, Edward LeSaint, Robert McKenzie, and Josephine Whittell.

Also, Frank O'Connor had already appeared in International House.  Florence Enright, who plays Mrs. Kelly here, was the seamstress in Little Women.  George McQuarrie was the first judge, Frederick Sullivan the second judge, in Duck Soup.  Edmund Mortimer was in Design for Living and Flying Down to Rio.  And, yes, that's a pre-Flash-Gordon Buster Crabbe as Pauline's boyfriend.

Although this isn't a Marx Brothers movie, it is a Paramount '30s comedy, so I should explain the title.  Bisbee doesn't realize that his friend is a real princess, and he says they really put one over on his town.  She replies, "You're telling me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment