Monday, March 9, 2015

The Hudsucker Proxy

The Hudsucker Proxy
March 11, 1994
Warner Bros.
Comedy, Drama, Historical, Sci-Fi
DVD
B-

It's a little odd that I own this movie at all, let alone on DVD.  The simple answer is that a friend regifted it to me several years ago at Christmastime.  I like the movie but it never quite gripped me.  I find it a little distant and forgettable.  It's well-made, but I'm not particularly a Coen Brothers fan.  I respect them and get some entertainment out of their comedies (and dramedies), but, no, I'm not drawn in.  I have similar feelings about the three leads here: Tim Robbins, Paul Newman, and Jennifer Jason Leigh.  It's no coincidence that I don't own any other movies with Newman or Leigh.

The movie presents a highly fictionalized account of the invention and promotion of the Hula-Hoop.  However, although it's set in 1958, the feel is closer to the mid-'40s, with homages to (among others) Preston Sturges and Frank Capra.  (I'm sure that Robbins's character being named Norville is a nod to Morgan's Creek.)  The film has the same themes of time and redemption as Groundhog Day, but with a much heavier touch.  (Its Magical Negro is also much more obviously controlling time.)  The look and sound of the movie are well done, including such touches as a businessman named Bumstead, as in Dagwood.  But not only did I find myself at times wishing I actually was watching Sturges and Capra, but I also started looking forward to the much giddier (and wiser) Down with Love.

Pat Cranshaw, who portrayed old men for decades in movies and on TV, including in Sgt Pepper (1978), here plays the Ancient Sorter.  Richard Whiting, the Ancient Puzzler here, was a priest in Tootsie and a doctor in Zelig.  Robert Weil, who's the Mail Room Boss, was Co-Op Member #2 in Who's That Girl.  Barbara Ann Grimes, who plays Mrs. Cardoza, was a Flat Tire Lady in Groundhog Day.  Of the board members, Gary Allen was a school teacher in Annie Hall; Jerome Dempsey was Sam and Sid in Tune in Tomorrow...; and Richard Woods would be Reverend Morgan in In & Out.

Charles Durning plays Waring Hudsucker, before and after death.  This time Peter Gallagher is Vic Tenetta, the crooner.  Steve Buscemi has a nice little cameo as the Beatnik Barman.

"You know, for kids!"

No comments:

Post a Comment