Thursday, October 29, 2015

Conclusion

So there you have it, roughly 75 years of my movie collection.  Going through it, I was surprised by what I owned and by what I didn't.  (In some cases, movies had been lost or they simply would no longer play.)  There are movies I don't own that are more meaningful than some I own.  Still, it's an interesting collection, eclectic in some ways, although it's certainly possible to say I have types I like.  As far as stats go, the overlapping genre tags offer 276 comedies out of 326 movies, so yes, only 50 are ones I would not describe as intending to be funny.  Fifty-four of the movies came out in the '60s, so they are mostly ones that I probably first discovered in childhood and adolescence, on television.  Paramount was the first studio, with the Marx Brothers movies, and remained number one, with 40 films in my collection.  And Groucho Marx stayed the most prolific performer in my collection, with 17 movies.  So I guess this means that Skidoo is the most typical of my movies, studio aside.



Since I gave three A's and seven A-s, that makes coming up with a Top Ten pretty easy, although the order is somewhat arbitrary.
  1. Some Like It Hot
  2. High Fidelity
  3. Groundhog Day
  4. Nine to Five
  5. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
  6. The Wizard of Oz
  7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  8. The Big Bus
  9. The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
  10. Enchanted April
As for Bottom Ten, well, I never went below a D-.  Here it is, with the D's, D+s, and the worst of the C-s.

  1. The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw
  2. Togetherness
  3. Never Been Kissed
  4. Meet Me in St. Louis
  5. Speedway
  6. Scavenger Hunt
  7. The Sex Files
  8. Roadie
  9. Transylvania 6-5000
  10. Gidget Goes to Rome

Stay tuned for the television blog in the next day or two....

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog today while searching for "The Love God?" - which was new to me. Anyway, I admire your project and will drop by again. I do hope you haven't stopped blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is definitely an odd movie. I'm currently working on my TV blog: https://reviewingeverytvshowiown.blogspot.com/2015/10/introduction.html

    ReplyDelete