Monday, April 20, 2015

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
May 2, 1997
New Line Cinema
Comedy
DVD
B-

At the time I reviewed Wayne's World, I didn't yet own this movie, also starring and written by Mike Myers.  I wasn't sure about buying it, because although I enjoyed it very much the two or three times I saw it in the '90s, I had a feeling it wouldn't age well.  Also, the sequels had gotten progressively worse.  (I nearly walked out of the third movie.)  But I found it on sale at a low price, so I decided to take a chance.  Verdict: some of it hasn't aged well, but it's still entertaining.

The things that felt so fresh in '97, like the homage/parody of the cinematic version of Swingin' London, still look good.  The bathroom humor was never that great to begin with, and now it looks not only unfunny but quaint, having been outdone by not only its own sequels but the likes of There's Something About Mary (which I haven't seen but know of) and the American Pie movies (I've seen three).  Even some of the cute parodic devices, like the couple walking through local sites and sights, had been done better in Purple Rose of Cairo or would be done better in Down With Love (which more consistently creates the world of the '60s).  Also, that Mike Myers annoyance factor is there, although still far from the days when just the poster of The Love Guru could make me cringe.

That said, there's some funny stuff here, with Dr. Evil's "The details of my life are quite inconsequential" monologue as the real stand-out.  (I think Myers is more entertaining as the villain than the hero.)  There's also a bit of poignancy, as Austin realizes that times have changed and he may have to change, too.  It's fun to see how many people (most of them, alas, untaggable) show up, from Burt Bacharach to Patrick Bristow from Ellen Degeneres's then current sitcom.  Michael York is best of all, as the aptly named Basil Exposition.

Rob Lowe has a much smaller role here than he did in Wayne's World: Decapitated Henchman's Friend.  Carrie Fisher has a nice little scene as the Therapist.  By then 23-year-old Seth Green plays what would turn out to be a recurring role, as Scott Evil.

Neil Mullarkey, who's the Quartermaster Clerk here, would be Barnaby in Spice World, though I know him best for the British impro troupe The Comedy Store Players and their various endeavors on TV.  Ted Kairys, Eastern European Technician here, would be Gerard in Legally Blonde.  Steve Monroe, who plays one of the sons at the father-son therapy group, would be Frank Tobin in Miss Congeniality.

No comments:

Post a Comment