Thursday, April 16, 2015

Chasing Amy

Chasing Amy
April 4, 1997
View Askew/ Miramax
Comedy, Romance
DVD
B-

I don't think has held up as well as Clerks, ironically because it attempts more.  Clerks was a surreal day-in-the-life story, while this attempts to say things about love and life.  Also, when you're making a rom-com, even an indie rom-com, it helps if the main couple is likable, and Holden and Amy aren't really, separately or together.  Nonetheless, it is interesting to see how many ways they can screw things up, and I like the supporting performances, in particular Dwight Ewell, who was part of the He-He-Hello Trio in Party Girl but has a much more substantial role as Hooper X.  Alyssa (the "Amy" equivalent) is played by Kevin Smith's then girlfriend Joey Lauren Adams.  There are times when the character shows wisdom, but other times when she is as stupid as main character Holden, played by 24-year-old Ben Affleck, who would soon break through in Good Will Hunting among other movies.  Jason Lee is actually more intriguing, as Holden's conflicted best friend Banky.

This movie has narrative and casting connections with Clerks and Mall Rats.  (E.g. Alyssa had a crush on Caitlin Bree in high school.)  I still haven't seen the latter movie, and I still don't know if I will be adding it or anything else to my View Askewniverse collection.  I like Kevin Smith, but I'm just not a super-fan.  That said, if I saw Clerks II marked down, I'd probably get it.

I should also note that I saw this movie the summer after it came out (I think when it went into wider release), at a time when I was meeting more bisexuals.  (Until that point, I knew two: myself and my best friend.)  The film never uses the B-word, and it is misleading how Alyssa describes herself to Holden as a lesbian.  I get that it's a political/personal label choice, but a more LGBT-savvy writer/director could've brought up the whole "bi-dyke identity thing," which was a real issue in the mid to late '90s.  (I don't know about these days.)  Still, Smith gets points for trying to deal with the complexity and fluidity of sexual orientation, from the perspective of a tolerant straight man.

Affleck's real life bestie, 26-year-old Matt Damon, plays Shawn Oran.  This time, Brian O'Halloran plays Jim Hicks, presumably some relation to Dante Hicks in Clerks.  (He'd be Grant Hicks in Dogma.)  Since it's a Kevin Smith movie, Jay (Jason Mewes) and Silent Bob (Smith) return.

Walter Flanagan, who was Woolen Cap Smoker/ Egg Man/ Offended Customer in Clerks, is simply Fanboy here and would be Protestor #2 in Dogma.  Bar Patron John Launder would be Priest with Buddy Christ #1 in Dogma.  Ernest O'Donnell was a Trainer in Clerks, is a Bystander here, and would be a Reporter in Dogma.  Vincent Pereira, Startled Pinball Player here, had been Hockey Goalie and Engagement Savvy Customer in Clerks, and would have an uncredited role in Dogma.  Virginia Smith (Kevin's sister) was Caged Animal Masturbator in Clerks and plays Con Woman here.  Ethan Suplee, who's a Fan here, would be the voice of Noman in Dogma.  Guinevere Turner, who's a Singer here, would be a Bus Station Attendant in Dogma.  Smith's producer Scott Mosier, who was William the Idiot Manchild/ Angry Hockey-Playing Customer/ Angry Mourner in Clerks, is a Collector here and would be Smooching Seaman [!] in Dogma.

Carmen Llwelyn, who's Kim here, would be Rob's Girlfriend in Never Been Kissed.  Affleck's 21-year-old brother Casey plays Little Kid [sic] and would be Morgan O'Mally in Good Will Hunting.


A more unsolvable triangle than in "Threesome" or "Design for Living."

No comments:

Post a Comment